“The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library.” –Albert Einstein
- Amazon’s New Christian Imprint: Amazon is launching Waterfall Press, a new a Christian imprint specializing in faith-based fiction and non-fiction titles to be published by Brilliance Publishing.
- 28 Beautiful Quotes about Libraries: Because everyone should love their library.
- The Franz Kafka Video Game: No seriously–it exists, and Flavorwire has looked into it.
- Stonepile Anthology Launch: Volume three of this collection of poetry and prose from Southern Appalachian writers will be available next week.
- Billy Collins’s Papers Sold to The University Of Texas: The former U.S. poet laureate has sold his papers to the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin, which, according to The New York Times, include “dozens of notebooks containing observations, notes, doodles, clippings and extensive drafts of poems, published and unpublished.
“The mind can be trained to relieve itself on paper.”–Billy Collins
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”–J. R. R. Tolkien
- 14 Must-have Tolkien Books: In honor of today’s release of The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Huffington Post gives us this list of must-have Tolkien books.
- Judge Tosses Booksellers’ Suit Against Publishers, Amazon: A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by independent booksellers against Amazon and the big six “that alleged a murky conspiracy to restrain trade via Amazon’s use of proprietary DRM in its Kindle e-reading platform.” Read more at Publisher’s Weekly.
- 10 of the Greatest Essays on Writing Ever Written: This article from Flavorwire lists ten of their favorite essays on writing—How meta!
- 16 Profound Literary Quotes About Getting Older: This Buzzfeed article features quotes from some of your favorite authors about aging.
- USA Today’s Top Ten books of 2013: A list of ten books from USA Today book critics, Jocelyn McClurg and Bob Minzesheimer. What books are on your list? Hit the comments and let us know!
“One can never have enough socks,” said Dumbledore. “Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”–J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
“A man’s pursuit of knowledge is greater than his shortcomings, the limits of his vision.”–Natasha Trethewey, Thrall
- Poet Laureate, Natasha Tretheway: Natasha Tretheway has been appointed to a second term as the U.S. Poet Laureate. Her goal for this term is to bring poetry to a wider audience. Read more about her plans for this term on the Washington Post website.
- Around the World in 80 Books: Want to explore the world from the comfort of your living room? Check out this handy list of books from around the world put together by Amazon.com.
- Literary Restaurants: Perhaps you actually want to travel, but want to keep your book nerd cred; then make sure you stop by these restaurants on your journeys (put together by flavorwire).
- Books to Gift for Every Occasion: Looking for that perfect book to give someone, but have no idea what to look for? Check out these suggestions from Buzzfeed.
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Warner Brothers has released the first official trailer for the second Hobbit movie, due to be out in theaters in December. You can watch it on YouTube.
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.”–J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
“‘One can never have enough socks,’ said Dumbledore. ‘Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.’”-J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Writer’s Wish list: Trying to figure out what to give your writer friend/family member? Check out this writer’s wish list from Book Pregnant for some ideas.
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell Series: BBC has ordered this Period fantasy drama as a six-part series based on the best-selling novel by Susanna Clarke. Also, check out Chris’s review of the novel.
- Goodreads Readers’ Choice: Goodreads has announced the winners of the Readers’ Choice Best of 2012. Did your favorites make the list?
- A Book by Any Other Name: Can you match these famous novels with their alternate titles? Test your knowledge!
- Amazon Contest Changes: There are several new changes to the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, including a change of publisher and an increased number of categories and winners. Read about some of the changes in this article from Publishers Weekly.
“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”-Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books displayed as Eye of Sauron tower